Southeastern US Culture?
What do you consider the culture of the Southeast US — particularly Georgia, Florida, Alabama, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana?
I’m not talking about banjo pickin’, cousin marrying Jerry Springer junk. I’m talking about the real way things are. Please also include where you are and how much (if any) time you’ve spent in the areas I listed.
Thanks in advance!
The culture is southern American, which includes, but is not limited to …
- Heavy Christian culture, Christianity is everywhere, lot’s of churches everywhere
- Standard American consumerism and materialism. Wal-Mart, fast food, billboards
- Politically right-wing, social conservatism, this is influnced by the heavy religion
- College football, NFL, NASCAR, trips to Myrtle Beach/Gulf Coast
- Country music, Christian music
- The confederate culture movement … not all people in the southeast are part of this, but some in the south do believe the culture should include the history of the area being part of the confederate states. This is expressed by displaying the confederate flag, supporting confederate history events, etc.
None of the above applies to south Florida, except for the standard American stuff like consumerism and materialism. Most of the above applies to PARTS of North Carolina, but not as much as the rest of the southeast. I’d say the heart of all of the above would be Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina.